woensdag 3 september 2008

OVERLORD


You might be confused when you see the Overlord hit the stage, thinking that it's The Setup that will play, especially since Dries took over the vocals from Kris. If you get the chance to see Overlord, don't hesitate because with no clear ambitions neither a clear plan, it might be the last time you see this band. Here's a talk with Andries guitarplayer for Overlord and currently also playing bass for Born From Pain and guitar for Diablo Blvd.
Hi Andries, how are you doing?
Hardway! I am doing fine actually. Tomorrow morning I'll be flying to New York. Not for the superbowl, but for 5 days of chillin' with my mother. Sounds weird, but keep in mind she is pretty cool and she is one of the few persons that can actually diss the shit out of me, so it's gonna be great. Hopefully, customs won't be a pain in the ass, because I know she will not keep her mouth shut when someone will be an asshole towards her.

Let's talk about Overlord, what is this band about?
You know I play in some other bands and I am also one of the people running a record label plus I am back working again full-time for an oil company which basically means, I do not have that much time, but for some reason I cannot say no to things like that, because unlike the other bands I'm involved in, there is absolutely no plan with this band.
The main idea started somewhere at the end of 2005 when the guys from Officer Jones and Vince from Amen Ra wanted to do a real tuff guy band. More as a joke, I believe, but they asked me to play bass guitar. As usual, I was down with the plan, but again as usual, it never happened. You know how it goes... The Pain Principle style... big plans, but it never happens.
Nevertheless, Kris who was singing for OJ approached me again to do something else outside OJ, because he wanted to do more than playing the BOTCH-thing... and again I said yes, but this time it was different.
I asked Serch to play drums and my friend Nicolas from Leng 't che to play bass, so we had a line-up. The only thing we discussed was the style of music we wanted to play and the initial plan if you can call it one was to do a mix of Hatebreed and Crowbar which is kinda weird, because at that time we had not heard of the Kingdom of Sorrow project, but luckily for us, we were not that creative at the time so it ended up being more Hatebreed than Crowbar, so that problem was solved.
This was all March-April 2006 and next up, we booked a studio and me and Serch wrote 9 songs in 3 weeks. We recorded them with Vince from Amen Ra and that was it, aside from the fact those recordings are still not finished which had a couple of reason but I won't go deeper into that.
Last year, September, we played our first show and at this time we have played three shows, with no demo or whatsoever, but it's fun. It's nothing fancy, hell It's not even fantastic, but we don't care. It's heavy and it's fast. We have an uncertain future and no ambitions, for instance the unfinished demo, but we all have our reasons to do it. For years, Nicolas and Serch were saying they would do a band together, me... I just needed a reason to downtune my guitar and play with two guitaramps and Kris, I don't know about him... but he sure likes doing it.


Since we're talking Hatebreed here. Which is your favorite HB album and why?
To answer your question. It's hard for me to tell. Like every other reasonable person, it's impossible to choose between Satisfaction is the Death of Desire and Perseverance. Both albums are classics from the first song to the last. It kinda bugs me when people consider those releases of the 'Breed as some more tuff guy hardcore or at best see Hatebreed as the band that started that kind of music. I mean, it's so ignorant if you don't hear the excellent hardcore riffing on Satisfaction or the sheer brutality and heaviness on Perseverance. Another thing about those releases is the fact that both of them have a lot of songs on it. You could say that there are maybe too many songs on it, but not in this case because they all deserve their place on those albums.
When years are passing by I realised there are a couple of songs on those albums that nobody often talks about because they are at the end of the record and I'd like to elaborate a bit about for example the 13th song on Perseverance; "Healing to suffer again". Holy, shit... that opening riff... massive. " I feel cheated, so I cheat myself, I feel defeated, so I defeat myself". One of the many examples of how Jamey Jasta's lyrics are simple and yet effective. It's easy to call it superficial and dumb, and I know many people do but I disagree. It fits the music and this lyrical content is stripped down to the bare essence of how we all have to find our way in this world. If I want to read something more intelectual, there are so many other things out there and let's face it, it's not because you use more metaphores, it means it's deeper.
Too bad it's not in their normal setlist. When I was working as a guitartech for them, I kinda asked why not and the answer I got back from Sean Martin was kinda predictable... we simply have too many songs we want to play live. I guess, he's right... well what can I say... I stole some parts of it for a song on Minister of Death and I don't feel bad about it.
Anyway, even Kerry King said that if Slayer would be a hardcoreband, they would sound like Hatebreed on Perseverance. Aside from the fact, it's a huge compliment coming from that guy, you can't deny the truth in those words.
If I take a closer look at some of the rest of their discography, it was already clear on the Under the Knife release that this band was up to something. I don't consider Under the Knife on itself as a true classic but I've always been a fan of what you could describe as 'a band's first release phenomenon'. Technically It sounds like shit, the snare drum sounded like everything back then, especially on half of the Back Ta Basics discography and later on Metallica's St Anger, but all this aside, it was raw and effective and more importantly and you knew this ep was only the beginning.
On the other hand, Puritan, Smash Your Enemies, Not One Truth are on that release and I doubt it ever gets harder, so maybe I should take those words back and make it a classic as well.
Both The Rise of Brutality are and Supremacy may not be flawless records but in the end it's still Hatebreed and far better than what we are all doing and let's be honest... you may or you may not like this band, but when Hatebreed is playing on a show, the rest of the line-up are just details.

As you mention the sound quality of the first hatebreed recordings: in the discussions we have about music, it always strikes me how important you consider professionalism, sound quality, production and things like this. Whereas in my eyes it doesn't matter that much, as long as a band is honest about what they're doing. Sure, you mention digging the Hatebreed debut which is for sure a sloppy sounding album (and indeed hard as nails), but you know what I'm talking about, Back Ta Basics style! And don't you think the albums of the current 'bigger' hardcore acts just sound too smooth? To me, these are great albums, but they somehow miss this kind of authenticity and spontaneity. What do you think about this?
I guess you're right in a way. Before I start answering your question, the bottom line is, it's of course a matter of taste, although I must admit that there are so many records I like that have a shitty production, so it's not the most important thing for me. I think the vibe of a record is way more important. For instance, if you compare under the knife with Perseverance, it's hard not to hear the difference in sound, but at the same time, they both have the same agressive vibe.
Nevertheless if I have to choose I'd go for Perseverance and that's of course a matter of taste.
On the other hand, I hate reading nonsense about how people think that if a band chooses to sound as raw as possible or even shitty or wants to sound like they are from a certain time, it's more genuine or more real, because imo, that's bullshit. bands from the 80's or even bands that came out on let's say Back Ta Basics 10-12 years ago did not have a choice. They sounded like that because they had no budget or they did not have the equipment. Recording back then was way more expensive.
So to me there's not much difference in authenticity with a record that sounds almost perfect, because in both cases you're trying to have for a certain sound.
The only exception is when you're using too much pro-tools by replacing and triggering almost everything,..in that case I agree, but if that's not the case, I don't see the problem. The bands you mentioned surely can pull off live what they do on record. By the way...that song "Betrayer" on the new Terror record... holy shit... so good.


Let's get back to Overlord, compaired to your other bands, it must be a good feeling to do a band with no stress whatsoever?
It feels great. When you play in a band and you start playing outside your hometown or even when you're on a tour outside Belgium, it still is a lot of fun, but then you get a little bit bigger and all of a sudden there are people trying to get your band on bigger shows or tours, even on the level we're on with The Setup, I mean, there's the label, there's a bookingsagence and it changes the overall feeling a little bit. You know, deadlines, albumsales, merch... Not that I don't enjoy playing in that band, anymore, not at all, I love doing all those things, but sometimes your ambitions or your goals become too important and with Overlord, it's not important... and it has been a while since I only felt that.

Where do you keep getting your inspiration from, as you're also in TSE and DB?
The thing is, when I am alone in my room playing on my guitar or working on my 8-track, I feel completely happy. It relaxes me and most importantly, I have this urge to make songs. the reason I will never be the best guitarplayer in the world, is basically because I want to write songs first and then be able to play them. I can't play a lot of coversongs, because I'm not interested in that. I used to play in a classical orchestra for many years as a saxophone player and for years, I've studied this instrument until I became pretty good at it, but it was always playing other people's songs, obviously.... I mean, when I was playing a lot of saxophone, I could play some pretty coole jazz classics or even classical music, but writing a simple a hardcore song is way more exciting than playing "Take five" by Dave Brubeck for instance.
Moroever, since we started playing with The Setup, I've been writing songs constantly. First with that band, then I started doing the Diablo songs and with Overlord, it just happened. To me it's all the same. A song is song. I don't believe in genres, I believe in an interesting structure and most importantly, every good song needs a good hook.
When you have the basic idea ready, it's just a matter of finding the right frame. All the creativity lies in the riff or the hook.
When it comes down to influences...I must say I listen to everything. My favourite rock bands are probably Helmet, Social Distortion, The God Machine, The Cult and Danzig and for hardcore bands, it depends. There are some classic bands that everybody loves... SOIA, Cro-Mags, Madball, Merauder, Hatebreed, Judge, Killing Time, you know what I'm talking about.... Lately, I love the Bitter End and the Shipwreck records a lot.

Yo Kris, what do you write about for Overlord? Is it different than your lyrics for your other bands?
Kris: Well to be honest, I only wrote a couple of lyrics for the OJ thing, most of the OJ lyrics where written by the bassplayer. For "Daggers" I wrote every lyric and yeah there is a difference between Overlord and Daggers lyrics... I think Daggers lyrics are in a certain way more poetic, there is more of a romantic naive punkvibe in the music and lyrics. Overlord lyrics have more or less the same subjects but they are more direct, It are collages with sometimes different subjects in one song, I never write lyrics in one piece they constantly change. It's not an easy job to write lyrics, especially when they are personal. You keep somethings too yourself... somedays you feel like shit and and other days you don't... so we have to relativate every thing, also the people who read the lyrics. For example American Nightmare lyrics are so dark and without a future, but I guess Wes Eisold can relativate his own toughts and we have to keep that in mind we read them. But to say something about the Overlord lyrics, well they where honest on the moment I wrote them...


Are you tuff enough to be in a tough guy band?
Kris: I have a full grown beard... But then again I will not be typecasted to act in the next wiggaz' gangmovie. You know I've spend a lot of time in the punk and crust scene wich has it's specific ideas and I guess some other morals and values than the typical tough guy. I know that there are in both scenes walking cliches and cool people but in the end you have to create your own values. I think you don't have to take yourself too seriously, never lose the sense to relativate. I like what I'm doing whit Overlord, it's a fun thing to do... no pressure, still no demo and not too much rehearsing , damn! we could be a crustband! But to answer your question, I'm near thirty years old and still involved in the hardcore thing... so yeah I'm tough enough!

Do you care that the lineup for OL and TSU is highly the same?
No, I don't care although I must say I'm the only one that doesn't care about that. It seems that some people think it's not done, I don't know. We'll see. We will never play a lot of shows, so... I don't think it's gonna matter that much... especially when Nicolas Leng 't che plays without a shirt, ... then it's all eyes on him.

Andries, we could go on and on, but let's wrap it up here. What can we expect from OVERLORD in the future? Any shout outs?
Well, somewhere in July, we're going to record the vocals for the ep, so we're aiming for a september release, right on time for our new show on the 20th of September, together with NJ Bloodline, No Turning Back and some more bands, so be on the lookout for that.You, Wim, thanks for the interview and lots of love to everybody that's playing on stage with me. You know who you are, cuz that's too many names to drop, haha!
Check out this band:
http://www.myspace.com/overlordhc

Geen opmerkingen: